Thursday, April 28, 2011

To those working against me

Here I am, studying abroad in Morocco, enjoying myself and learning about a new culture with the hope that I can help educate people about how not all Muslims are terrorists and Morocco is a safe Muslim country and now some suicide bomber has to go and blow up the cafe I used as a landmark to find my hostel just a few weeks ago.  Not just that, but the students at my university have been protesting for the past 3 weeks and the atmosphere was getting tense until today when it broke.  The added tension of the potential presence of the King in Meknes for the agricultural festival caused a sit-in to turn violent enough that we were told to stay away from campus today.  I feel like up until today, I was definitely helping to spread the understanding that not all Muslims (or any group of people) can be represented by the extremists, but now I fear that all that growth has been or will be undone.

I just hope the world can continue to make the distinction between the few making all the noise and the rest of these peaceful and friendly people...

No comments:

Post a Comment