Thursday, September 15, 2011

1 Year Later

Today marks exactly one year since I left for Costa Rica to kick off my big yearlong study abroad adventure!

I feel like I should write something profound but I am so tired right now from a week of filling in the gaps while my mom is out of town, getting myself ready to move back to San Diego for school, and teaching a dance class for my old dance teacher today while she is out of town.  But I guess I can share my version of a famous Tolkien quote that has drifted through my head a lot this year as I bounced from place to place:

Not all who wander are lost, but it sure is fun to get lost so you can find yourself :)

I hope you have enjoyed following along on my travels this year, and continue to follow me wherever my life takes me next!  I mean, going back to San Diego for school is kind of like traveling, right?

Update: Just because I keep meaning to throw this on the blog sometime...

To anyone who says they don't want to do a night hike Costa Rica because they are scared of spiders, or can't get scuba certified because they don't think they can take off their mask and put it back on under water, or don't want to go to Morocco because they don't want to see meat hanging in shops with the animal head there to show you what kind of meat it is, or even don't want to go somewhere because they don't know anyone or speak the language, here is what I have to say: IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT.

This year, I refused to let fear hold me back from doing things I wanted to do.  It was a conscious decision.  Apparently, fear is a lot more mental than we think.

1 comment: